Friday 11 March 2011

Friday Night Treat Night

So I thought I would share with you today a recipe I found a couple weeks ago on Family Fun. I love the Family Fun site. It is definitely one of my favorite sites.

Anyway I found this Orange Biscuit recipe which is pretty much like orange rolls. I actually saw this recipe at like 8:30 pm and decided straight away I have to make these. So I did. And then my hubby and I both had 3 each... Ahhh! Naughty, I know but once you make this recipe I challenge you to just eat one! NOT. POSSIBLE!

Anyway here it goes. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!



Ingredients
  • GLAZE:
  • 1/2 cup cold butter (1/4 cup for the orange glaze and 1/4 cup for the biscuits)
  • 1/2 cup orange juice (preferably fresh)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp. grated orange zest
  • BISCUITS:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 to 2 tbsp. soft margarine or butter for brushing on the uncooked biscuit dough
  • 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar (mix 1/4 cup sugar with about 2 tsp. cinnamon)

Instructions
  1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 12-muffin tin. (Note: this recipe does not work with muffin liners.)

  2. To make the glaze, combine 1/4 cup of the butter with the orange juice, sugar, and orange zest in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and then cook for 2 minutes.

  3. Divide among the muffin cups (the hot syrup should not be handled by a child).

  4. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium-size bowl. Cut in the remaining 1/4 cup of butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.

  5. Add the milk, stirring with a fork until the dough forms a ball. Turn it onto a counter, knead it briefly (4 turns or so), and roll it out into a 1/4-inch-thick rectangle, roughly 12 by 8 inches.

  6. Brush with the softened margarine or butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

  7. Flour your hands and roll up the dough, jelly-roll style, then cut it into twelve 1-inch slices. Place a slice in each glaze-filled muffin tin.

  8. Bake for approximately 18 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown. Run a knife around each biscuit, then turn them out, glazed side up, onto a cooling rack with a baking sheet or waxed paper below. Makes 12 biscuits.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Oh, yum! I make orange crescents out of the refrigerated crescents, but I bet these are better since they're totally from scratch!