Friday 4 March 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting


Remember when I told you I was totally getting into making cupcakes.... Well that hasn't changed. In fact every day I have to try and hold back from making more cupcakes. I just want to decorate them and make them look pretty. So much so that I would be willing to make cupcakes just to decorate and then throw away. No I've not done this I know it would be a waste of food. But at times it is tempting to feed my terrible addiction at the moment :)

Anyway here is my latest creation.

CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES with PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING

Yep just like a Peanut Butter cup.... Only BETTER!!!

I thought I would share this lovely recipe with each of you. First for the cake. See part of my obsession is to also find the perfect cake recipes. No More Betty Crocker! Well that's the goal anyway. So here is a great little Chocolate Cupcake Recipe I found at Frosted Happy Cupcakes.

Chocolate Cake:

Ingredients:

3 cups of packed brown sugar
1 cup of butter (or margarine), softened
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1 Tbsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups sour cream of yogurt
1 1/3 cup boiling water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl cream your butter and sugar. Add in your eggs one at a time beating extremely well after each addition. Beat the batter on a high speed until light and quite fluffy. Next, blend in vanilla. In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.

Now, add your dry ingredients while alternating with the sour cream into the wet ingredients. Mix this on low until combined. Don't over beat. Stir in the boiling water until blended. Pour the batter into prepared cupcake liners. I like to use giant or large size liners. I scoop my batter into each liner with a cookie scoop. I have discovered that 2 scoops of batter in each liner gives you a nearly perfect amount in each cup. I cook mine between 18 and 20 minutes (approximately 10 minutes if making mini cupcakes). Check them after 18 minutes. Insert a toothpick, if it comes out clean the cupcakes are done. Cool in the pan for a few minutes on a cooling rack and then transfer directly to the rack to finish cooling.

Next you need my Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe. I cant give credit to anyone other than my pretty little self for this divine treat. It is kind of a mistake gone right. It worked so well when I first made it that I just had to quickly write down what I did wrong to make it turn out so right :) And here is what I came up with:

Peanut Butter Frosting:


1/2 c unsalted Butter (Room Temp)
1 Cup Peanut Butter
2 Cups Powder (Icing) Sugar
1/4 cup Milk

Beat the butter and Peanut Butter together until nice and fluffy. And half the powder sugar and mix. It will be very lumpy add half the milk and blend well, until smooth. Add the rest of the Powder Sugar and the remaining milk and blend again until smooth. If this is to thick for you then you can add a bit more milk until you get the consistency you want.

It is so delish! Let me know if you try either of these recipes what you think.

4 comments:

said...

Ok, this just sounds soooo delicious. I'm sorta kinda ok I'm allergic to peanuts (happened in my early 20s), but I would risk it for this!! Thanks for sharing this recipe, especially the frosting!

Lisa said...

Peanut butter and chocolate combos are a definite fave in our house. These look so wonderful and tasty. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cupcakes up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-7.html

Hannah said...

YUM!!!! I love PB and chocolate. These look delicious!

TheProjectBag said...

I'm hoping to make these for Easter dessert. Just a quick question: what is sour cream of yougurt? Thanks!