Thursday 14 May 2009

Victoria Sponge Cake

One of the many treasures of England is the Victorian Sponge Cake. I love this little treasure and it is definitely a recipe I will be taking home with me to the USA when I move back. This cake is so light. Its not too sweet and make a perfect summer treat. Anyway here is the recipe for the cake. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

175 g or 3/4 cup Butter
175 g or 3/4 cup of Caster Sugar
3 eggs
175 g or 3/4 cup of Self Raising Flour

1. Set the oven to 180C/gas 4 or 350F. Lightly butter two cake tins. 
2. Cream together the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, and then slowly add the beaten egg. 
3. Fold in the sifted flour and spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tins. 
4. Bake for 20 minutes. Leave to cool and then remove from the tins.

Filling

Fresh Strawberries
Strawberry Jam
Double Cream / Cool Whip

Really you can use whatever toppings you want. I put more of the topping in between the two layer and a little bit of the topping on the very top. 

I hope you enjoy this little British Treasure as much as my family does!




No comments: