Thursday 24 February 2011

Try A Different Perspective

I feel I must, MUST start this entry by saying this – I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL. That being said, I sure do take a lot of pictures and even more than that I have done some researching/studying about pictures and how to take them.

This entry we are going to just explore a bit about changing our photography perspective. So many of us will take a wide shot and hope for the best. Luckily, now we have digital cameras so that we know what we took a picture of but, often that doesn’t change how we take pictures.

I am that aunt – that one who always has her camera at the ready for family parties, any kind of road trip, and all sorts of random times of the day. What I am going to do is show you some of my pictures and explain the reasoning and tips behind it.

img_0261img_0260

Sometimes you have to look a bit silly to get that shot. Here I was at the American Cemetery in Cambridge, UK. I laid down on the grass to get the first picture, but didn’t really like the angle so I sat up for the next one – I like it a lot more. When dealing with photography perspectives don’t be afraid to sit down, lie down, or just change your physical perspective.

img_0459imgp1902

Here I was at the forest. I wanted to try to capture the surface, the history, of the trees – so I got close – REALLY close and tried to get that perfect zoom. Don’t be afraid of getting REALLY close and giving that a try – looking through the lens at a different perspective than you would normally. The picture of my nephew is another example of getting really close. Newborn babies are good photography practice – they usually don’t mind if you get too close (not recommended with a teenager Winking smile).

img_0507img_1736

Think of the light! If you are out for a walk, or traveling or even in the back garden have a look at the light. I said to my niece, “go on, have a walk down that trail all by yourself!” I noticed that the sun was in a perfect place to create the shadows and the glow – so pay attention to your light perspective! The one of Big Ben works with the light as well (or lack of) but also I stood right at the bottom of both objects and took a picture. Yes, maybe I got in some peoples way – but not for too long!

img_2771img0106

Again, looking at object from a different angle often get you a very nice picture. Sometimes we have to strain our necks – looking straight up – or sometimes we have to incorporate another object, like the tree, to make the picture look a bit more artistic. Look at your surroundings – sometimes adding something more into the picture can be a good thing (plus if you don’t like it – you can always crop it out!)

imgp0379imgp1033

Don’t be afraid of the settings on your camera. Most of the time even basic digital cameras have settings – explore them – these were both take in the Mirco setting (just turning the dial).

imgp1564

See things in a black and white perspective. Sometimes changing the colour to black and white can make a huge difference.

So there you have it – change your perspective. Even if you are just taking fun pictures of the kids or nature – just try taking the picture in a way you would have never thought of – you’ll be surprised at the results.

So, lovely ladies, you tell me – what are your favourite picture taking perspectives?!?

2 comments:

Us said...

i am a horrible photographer in much need of advice. this was perfect. thank you so much.

Valerie said...

I love all of those photos! Thanks for all the tips.