Thursday 10 February 2011

Sometimes We Just Need a Reminder…

I bet you think this entry is going to be about remembering to write in your journal – its not! I think most women who once kept a journal of some sort don’t need a reminder, its always there in the back of our minds whenever something good, bad, (or ugly) happens. Well, don’t worry, I have an idea!

All through growing up my mom kept a calendar. It was always pinned to the wall and EVERYTHING was written on it from appointments to birthdays. When the end of the year came around she would put the old calendar away and pull out the new one (the most exciting part of that was looking at all the new months pictures for the upcoming year). I always wondered why she wouldn’t just throw them away – why save them!?!? Then I got a bit older and a bit wiser and I completely saw the wisdom in this way of “keeping a journal”. I could go back through the calendar and see when my first day of 6th grade was, when she had her first ultrasound for my sister, where my parents went on their anniversary. Do you see what I’m getting at?

Most of us don’t have the time (or the motivation) to write pages and pages of journals – but how many of us have time to jot down a word or two in a calendar? Now, does this have to be your ONLY journal or your way of writing your journal forever? No, I must admit, for me as a woman without children – my calendar would be significantly less full than some of my counterparts with children.

So say you have a new baby, you just cant find the time to wash your hair, yet alone write in a journal and one day that little baby gives you their first smile. Why not jot it down on the calendar and then you can always use it as a “memory jogger” when life slows down a bit (yeah right) or when you can finally make some time just for you.

It might not work for everyone, but if you are struggling to write in your journal this actually might be just the idea you’re looking for.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I need to do that again. When my first child was born, I was terrible about keeping a journal or even writing simple things in a baby book like my mom did. I did write things down on the calendar like "Alexander's first steps" on the date like your mom did.