Friday 25 February 2011

Best Oatmeal EVER!


When I was growing up my mom and dad made a hot breakfast pretty much every morning. They would take turns. My mom would do the Pancakes, French Toast and occasionally Scrambled eggs with a bit of ham and Cheese in them. And Dad would make omelets, Cream of Wheat and OATMEAL. Now most normal children squirm at the sight let alone taste of Oatmeal. But, when my dad made oatmeal you RAN to the table. No we didn't walk casually. We dropped everything and literally RAN to the table.

Now that I am an adult I have learned my dads secret to his AMAZING OATMEAL. I now once a week make it for my children. And just like when I was a child they don't casually walk to the table at breakfast they RUN to the table. To be honest as soon as they notice I am making oatmeal both of my children stand in the kitchen with me constantly asking is it done yet? Is it done yet? And then once it is done they cant stand the cooling down time which is when Grandma House's tip comes into play.

I thought I would share with you this Nelson Family Secret, but not for long since I'm posting it here, recipe. Can I just say before I post this that this is a delicious recipe. When you are looking at it keep in mind the the ingredients you use are not fattening (OK maybe the sugar and butter are a little fatty) but it is mostly seasonings which do nothing more than add flavor!

Nelson Family Secret Oatmeal Recipe

Follow the instructions on label for the amount of liquid for the amount of Oatmeal you want. Instead of using all water Use HALF water and HALF milk. We use 1% fat milk in our house and that is what I use in my oatmeal too.

Now the Yummy Parts:

1 - 2 Tbsp butter or Margarine
1 teas Cinnamon
1 teas Vanilla Essence
dash of Salt
Sugar to taste (this is up to you the amount you put in. For my family of 4 I use about 1/4 cup)

Oats

Directions:

Put the Milk and Water mixture in your pot. Add the Butter or Margarine, Cinnamon, Vanilla, Salt and Sugar. Bring to a light boil (if it boils to much it will boil over) Add oats. Cook as directed on package. Dish into bowls and top with a small spoon full of Vanilla Ice Cream (optional). Mmmmm DELICIOUS!! Honestly this is the best oatmeal you will ever eat. Your children will be begging for more and you will want to give it to them because lets face it this is much healthier than all those sugary cereals they love to eat!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

This looks delicious! I will have to try it sometime. My daughter loves oatmeal! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving some comments! It makes my day :)

Brittany
delectable-desserts.blogspot.com