Saturday 22 November 2008

Homemade Pancakes


This morning I made pancakes for breakfast but since we didnt have any mix I made it from scratch. I decided to try a new recipe then the one I have and this one is so delicious I thought I would share it with everyone. Plus by putting it on here I can always find it again. The measurements are British but I will try to transfer it into American for all the Americans too. These are so fluffy and honestly are so good!! A fantastic find!

135g /4 3/4 oz / 3/4 c. Plain Flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
3tbsp caster sugar (I dont recall ever seeing caster sugar in the states use granulated)
130 ml / 4 1/2 fl oz / 1/2 c. milk
1 large egg lightly beaten
2 tbsp melted butter (allow to cool) plus extra for cooking.

Directions:
Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl. In a seperate bowl or jug wisk together milk and eggs then add melted butter. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and, using a fork, beat until you have a smooth batter. Any lumps will disappear with a little mixing. Let the batter stand for a few minutes. Heat a non stick frying pan over medium heat and add a knob of butter. When it's melted, add a ladle of batter. It will seem very thick bit this is how it should be. Wait until the pancake begins to bubble, then turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown and the pancake has risen to about 1 cm (1/2in) thick.

Serve with butter and maple syrup or whatever you prefer. 

Quiet often when making pancakes I will add a bit of cinnamon and applesauce to the batter. I also love to put bananas on top with the maple syrup or mach bananas up and put them inside the batter. My dad always likes to put peaches and whipped cream on top. Sometimes we add fresh blueberries as well. So many different things you can do with pancakes it is unbelievable.  We Love them anyway. 

1 comment:

Annie said...

These sound so delish! I think I may make them tomorrow morning:) We always add blueberries, we got used to having a ton of them while living in Alaska. Thanks for this recipe!