Friday 1 October 2010

How To Make Pumpkin Puree

So here in England it is very difficult to get cans of pumpkin. There is one store that sells it from the 6 - 31 of October, the rest of the year there isnt any. So I normally stock up on pumpkin but from time to time I dont get enough and have to puree a pumpkin myself. The other problem is you can only buy a pumpkin those same times of year. So I very often substitute pumpkin for butternut squash. It works fantastic and tastes the same too.

Im not too sure how many people know how to make their own puree so I thought it might be a good idea to share just how I do it. You may do it different but this is what works best for me.

Step One:
Pre-heat your oven to about 325F 170C or gas mark 4.

Step 2:
Cut your pumpkin or Butternut Squash in half and deseed it. If you are using a pumpkin you can leave it in two big sections or you can put it into quarters at this point.

Step 3:


Place the pumpkin or Squash in a baking dish or on a cookie sheet flesh side up. Fill the bottom of the baking tray with water and place in the oven for about an hour.

Step 4:


Remove from oven when the flesh of the pumpkin or squash is tender. I check this by poking it with a fork, kind of like what I do when I am making mashed potatoes. I know it is done when the fork goes into the pumpkin or squash and comes out very easily.

Step 5:



Remove all the flesh from the skin and use in your favorite pumpkin recipe. Today I made this pumpkin bread recipe and sent some with my hubby into work. Everyone loved it. I hope this little tutorial helps someone

1 comment:

Pitterle Postings said...

OH, thanks! I have been doing this the hard way for years!! I am going to try your method this year and see how it works. Thank you so much for sharing.