Sunday 24 October 2010

Family Home Evening - Scripture Study

Recently I was speaking with a good friend of mine who is on the Primary Presidency about my children and scriptures. See my daughter is 6 and we send her to church with the scripture readers. I thought it gets her in the habit of taking scriptures and she can understand them so I was doing the right thing.... WRONG!! My friend explained to me how my 6 yr old was the only child without her own "real" scriptures. What did I do? That afternoon I rushed out and bought her her own set of "real scriptures" I also bought them for my 3 year old cause he will need them soon too. Apparently it isnt cool to wait until you are 8 to get scriptures anymore the cool thing is to get them straight when you go into primary. Man I am so behind on these kind of things. I felt terrible and thought what kind of mom am I to not have known this. We are back on the right track again. So what do you think FHE was about the week following the new scriptures? Yep Scripture study and Marking Scriptures. Anyway here is what we did and I hope that you can get a good idea for your FHE tonight from whaat happen in our home.

Opening Song: Search Ponder and Pray

Opening Prayer: Assigned

Lesson: Mommy

How many books of scripture do we have: (answer 4) We have the Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctorine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price.

The Bible has stories written by Prophets who testified that Jesus would come and by people who knew Jesus when he was alive on the earth. These people lived where Jesus came from, in the East.

The Book of Mormon was written by Prophets who lived all the way across the world from where Jesus grew up. But they wrote the same things...Prophets told that Christ would come, they shared their testimonies of Him and they saw Him after his resurrection.

The Doctrine and Covenants was written by modern Prophets, like Joseph Smith. As he was organizing Christ's church on the earth he had many questions. The Doctrine and Covenants has the answers to many of those questions and is a history of the early Latter Day church.

The Pearl of Great Price contains many sacred writing that were lost many years ago. The Lord guided Joseph Smith to find those lost writings and translate them for us to read today. It also has a history of Joseph Smith's life and the Articles of Faith.

President Howard W. Hunter said, “When we … read and study the scriptures, benefits and blessings of many kinds come to us. This is the most profitable of all study in which we could engage.”

I told of experiences when the scriptures have helped me make decisions.


My Husband then did a little bit about marking scriptures and why we do this. He explained that we dont just write in our scriptures for no reason but how we mark things which are important to us. Things which we want to be able to find again quickly. He showed his scriptures from his mission and all the markings in them. The kids thought they were pretty cool.

We both bore our testimony about scriptures to the kids and then we moved on to our favorite part of FHE the activity. We made Scripture cookies. Fun and Yummy. This is also the dessert.


3/4 cup _________
“The words of his mouth were smoother than ____” (Ps. 55:21)

1/3 cup _________
“Come unto me all ye ends of the earth, buy ____ and honey” (2 Ne. 26:25)

1 1/2 cups _________
“To what purpose cometh there to me … the ____ ____ from a far country?” (Jer. 6:20)

2 _________
“As one gathereth ____ that are left, have I gathered all the earth” (Isa. 10:14)

2 cups _________
“And Solomon’s provision for one day was thirty measures of fine ____” (1 Kgs. 4:22)


1 teaspoon _________
“Take thou also unto thee principal spices … and of sweet ____ half so much” (Ex. 30:23)

1 teaspoon _________
“Ye are the ____ of the earth” (Matt. 5:13)


1/2 teaspoon _________
“The kingdom of heaven is like unto ____ (Matt. 13:33)


3 cups _________
“Nevertheless … ____ for the horse” (D&C 89:17)


1 cup _________
“And they gave him … two clusters of ____” (1 Sam. 30:12)


Beat first four ingredients together. Mix in remaining ingredients. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350° F (175° C) for 15 minutes.

Recipe origin unknown


Scripture Cookie Answers:
3/4 c butter, 1/3 c milk, 1 1/2 c sugar, 2 eggs, 2 c flour, 1 t cinnamon, 1 t salt, 1/2 t baking soda, 3 c oats, 1 c


I also printed off this picture for the kids to do while the cookies were baking:



I hope your family enjoys this lesson as much as mine did!!

No comments: