Sunday 31 October 2010

Family Home Evening - Prayer

I know prayer is something which we alk about a lot with our children and the importance of it. But It is a topic which I just dont think we can talk to much about. So last week I decided to go over prayer again in out home. I hope this lesson idea can help to inspire each of you.

Opening Song: A Child Prayer
Opening Prayer:

Lesson: Mommy


I started by asking the children if Mommy had to go away on a long trip and I couldnt see them for a few days what are some of the ways that we could keep in touch. Since times are so modern and we are so far away from my family in the states they had a few answers which included, Letters, Email, Skype and of course talk on the phone (which is what I was looking for). I then explained to the children that before we were born we lived with Heavenly Father and that we loved him the same way as we love Mommy and Daddy. Heavenly Father wanted what was best for us which is why he let us come to earth so that we could do everything we can to go live with him forever. But Heavenly Father didnt want to not be able to talk to us or hear from us just like if Mommy was away on a trip I wouldnt want to not talk to them. So Heavenly Father gave us a way to talk to him through prayer.

I then showed them a paper which I had made with the Four Parts of Prayer on it:

1. Dear Heavenly Father
2. We Thank Thee.....
3. We Ask Thee.....
4. In the Name of Jesus Christ Amen

We then discussed things we could thank Heavenly Father for. There are so many.

We then discussed the things we could ask Heavenly Father for. Again the kids had a great list of things.

Finally we discussed why we say in the Name of Jesus Christ Amen to finish our prayers rather then just stop once we have Thanked Heavenly Father and Asked him for the things we need.

Next I told the kids this picture:



I asked them the story of Daniel and the Lions Den and we discussed it. We love this story in our house so the kids knew it well.

Lastly I played the song: "I pray in Faith" from the Childrens song book, (the song and music can be found for free on LDS.org)the words say:

I begin by saying “Dear Heavenly Father”;
I thank him for blessings he sends;
Then humbly I ask him for things that I need,
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Lastly for our activity I gave the children the following Maze to complete:



Closing Song: I am a Child of God
Closing Prayer:



For a treat why not try this Banoffee Pie. It is so lush!!

No comments: