Monday 27 December 2010

Creamy Turkey Soup Recipe


Just about now you are looking at the left over Turkey in the fridge and thinking maybe its to dry for sandwiches. Or if anyone else in the world is like me the thought of leftover poultry just makes me want to be sick. There is something about the taste of left over poultry, whether chicken, turkey, duck whatever which makes me a little sick. BUT..... This recipe is absolutely A-MAZE-ING!! No seriously. You don't get that weird leftover poultry taste with this and it doesn't matter if your turkey is a bit dry because when it is mixed into this creamy soup it moistens right up! I have adapted this recipe from a couple of different recipes and added a few of my own things so that now I think it is perfect. ENJOY!!

Ingredients:

1 large onion, chopped
3 celery ribs with leaves, chopped up, I used my Pampered Chef Food Chopped
6 tablespoons butter
7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon each dried thyme, savory and parsley flakes
1-1/2 evaporated Milk plus extra semi skim milk to thin out a bit if necessary
4 cups cubed cooked turkey
5 medium carrots, cut into pieces (I use my Pampered Chef chopped to coarsely chop)
2 cups turkey or Chicken Broth
1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas


Directions:

In a large pot, saute onion and celery in butter until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in flour and seasonings; gradually add evaporated milk, because it is evaporated milk it will form a paste. Slowly add the broth all the while whisking next add milk until your soup meets the desired thickness.It will continue to thicken as it cooks don't be afraid to add more milk if necessary. Add turkey and carrots. Simmer for 15 minutes stirring often.

Add peas; Simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender making sure to stir often so soup doesn't burn. Now enjoy!

No comments: