Thursday 20 February 2014

Rice Pudding Recipe

When we moved to the USA we knew that there would be  a number of things that we would miss from the UK. Many of those things I just cant replicate. The beautiful country side, the amazing architecture, the History that you are surrounded by and of course our lovely family and friends all of whom I miss terribly. There are some things which I can replicate though, all of which seem to be food items which I must admit are not good for my diet.

One of the things which my husband misses the most, at least when it comes to food, is Ambrosia Rice Pudding. I'm certain they must put some addictive ingredient in this stuff because its pretty much A-Maze-Ing! At least that is what my lovely hubby would tell you.




So I set out on a mission to make the best creamiest rice pudding I could. And this recipe is pretty good. Not quiet Ambrosia but pretty good.



3/4 cup uncooked white rice (for creamier pudding use short or medium grain rice)
2 cups whole milk, divided
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sprinkle of Cinnamon

In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir.
Reduce heat,cover and simmer for 20 minutes until cooked through.
In another saucepan, combine the cooked rice, with 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt.
Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes stirring regularly.

Mix the remaining 1/2 cup milk and beaten egg together. Add to the rice mixture. 
Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve warm.
Sometimes we like to add mix ins to our Rice Pudding. Some of the things we have added are; fresh fruit, crushed up candy bars, nuts, crushed up cookies, jams, nutella or chocolate sauce. Those are just a few of the mix ins we've added but of course the mix in possibilities are endless. 
Enjoy!
Alisha

No comments: