Monday 13 August 2012

Frosted Strawberry Squares


There are certain tastes and recipes which immediately send me back to my childhood. One of those recipes is Frosted Strawberry Squares. My mom used to make these during the summer when the strawberries were ripe and on sale in the stores. With strawberries being on sale these past few weeks here in Texas for 99 cents per pound I have been making these babies and just as I loved them when I was a child. My children and my husband love them too. Hopefully it will be one of those tastes that will effect my children the same way when they are adults as it does me.
Frosted Strawberry Squares:
Ingredients:
1 Cup Flour
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Slivered or Chopped Almonds
1/2 Cup Melted Butter
2 Egg Whites
1/2 Cup granulated Sugar
10 oz Whipping Cream
2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
2 Cups Sliced Fresh Strawberries, Crushed / Smashed
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 325F
  • Combine Flour, Brown Sugar, Almonds and melted butter and spread in an 8x8 pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Stir a couple of times. Once done allow to cool completely.
  • Once cooled press 2/3 of the mixture in the 8x8 pan to create the crust
  • Beat egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks form
  • Beat whipping cream until soft peak
  • Combined beaten egg whites, whipped cream, lemon juice and crushed strawberries. Spread mixture over the crust.
  • Sprinkle the remaining crust/crumb mixture over the top
  • Freeze 3 - 6 hours
  • Cut into squares and serve. I garnish with a little fresh whipped cream and strawberries.

As a side note this last week when I made this I used Splenda brown sugar blend and Splenda Sugar substitute. It worked very well. When frozen they needed to defrost a little bit before serving but it actually worked very well and tasted very good still.


No comments: