Friday 8 April 2011

Friday Night Treat - Strawberry Pie


Strawberries are starting to come into season here and a lot of the stores are selling them for super cheap. So last week I decided to make a strawberry pie. I like to make my own pie crust as well because then I can make a BIG pie. Here is my recipe for the Pastry first and then the Strawberry Pie filling second! Enjoy!

Sweet Pie Crust

2 cup Plain Flour
1 cup Vegetable shortening (here it is cookene or Trex in the US it is called Shortening. When I googles it I foiund out that Copha there is the same thing)
1/4 teas salt
2 teas Sugar
1/2 cup ice water

In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt and sugar. Add the shortening and work it through with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and work it in with your hands until you have a smooth ball of dough. (I used less than 1/2 cup sometimes. Just use what you need not nesicarrily all of it.) Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place it on a lightly floured surface. This recipe will make two pie crusts.


Strawberry Pie Filling:

  • 1 quart fresh strawberries
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3/4 cup water

  1. Arrange half of strawberries in baked pastry shell. Mash remaining berries and combine with sugar in a medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture. Reduce heat and simmer mixture until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour mixture over berries in pastry shell. Chill for several hours before serving.

1 comment:

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

Ooooh! I wish I could have a bite right now! This looks so amazing. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Warmly, Michelle