Wednesday 5 August 2009

Chore Chart

Recently my 5 year old has been wanting an allowance to be able to buy her "own" things. I wasnt going to just give her the money. I felt that at 5 years of age she was old enough to do something to earn it. So now she has chores. We needed something to record whether or not she was doing her chores and I was not excited about the idea of printing off a new sticker chart each week. What a waste of paper and stickers. So I made this:



It was so Simple I thought I would share with each of you. Here is what I did.

Item needed:

Small cork board (I bought mine for only 70p)
scrap material
hot glue gun
paints
fabric flowers

Start by taking the cork board out of the frame. Mine just popped right out.

Paint the frame any color or colors you want. I did mine to off set the fabric so it was yellow and then did a splatter of a deep pink and orange all over.

Next I covered the cork board with my fabric using hot glue.

Then I put the cork board back in the frame once it had dried completely. I then made two fabric flowers and attached them to the corners.

For the actual chart all I did was make it up on the computer and laminate it and then hot glue it to the cork board.

Really very simple! And my daughter loves checking off her chores as she does each of them.

2 comments:

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Great idea!

Jake said...

I've been working really hard over the past few months on a website called called PowrHouse (http://powrhouse.net/). At 5, your daughter might be a little too young to use e-mail, but if not (or if anyone else sees this), I bet she'd really like PowrHouse :)

It's currently in beta, but it works well (we're using it in our household). You add everyone you live with (kids, spouses, roommates, etc.), add your chores (names and how often they should be done), and PowrHouse keeps track of whose turn it is to do each chore (and sends email reminders every night, with links to click to signal that you've done the chores).

If you do end up using it, please contact me (my info is on the site) and let me know what you think, as I'm trying to make it as useful to all types of households as possible. If not, thanks at least for reading this far :)