Monday 1 June 2009

Homemade Jam



I love to make jam. I also think the less ingredients the better. I make loads of different jams in the summer when all the nice berries are fruit is in season and store it to have through the winter. Last week we broke into our last jar of jam so it was definitely time to make some more. So Saturday morning I made some Strawberries. I was able to get the Strawberries for really cheap which is fantastic too. I thought I would share with you my simple and delicious Strawberry Jam Recipe. If you are looking for more jam Recipes leave comments and I will add some more. I have loads! In the meantime I hope you enjoy this one. It is so easy it shouldnt even be allowed!!

Ingredients

6 cups of pureed Strawberries ( I put them in the blender)
5 cups Sugar
1Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice


In a large heavy sauce pan, mix sugar, berries and lemon juice. Stir on low heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil, stirring often until the mixture reaches 220 degrees F (105 degrees C)
Transfer to hot sterile jars. Process any unsealed jars in a water bath. If jam is going to be eaten right away, don't bother processing, and just refrigerate.



To test for jelling
Place 2 plates in the freezer. After about 10 minutes of boiling, place a teaspoon of the liquid of the jam onto a cold plate and return to freezer for a minute. Run your finger through the jam on the plate...if it doesn't run back together then its ready to be canned!

This recipe count be any easier. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does!!

2 comments:

Sarah J. said...

Wow, you guys do it all!!! I love this blog! Is there anything you can't do?

I have always wanted to make homemade jam. Canning has not been my forte as I have not yet learned how to do it! You've inspired me to get started. Jam is a great place to start!

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Mmmmm--that sounds so good! I haven't canned anything since my Mom passed away. Her and I used to do quite a bit. I think I may just have to follow your easy recipe and get to it!
Smiles, Karen